4 x 4 Australia - - Custom -

YOU may be won­der­ing how Kim and Heidi are able to legally drive on Aus­tralian roads with 40-inch tyres, nine-inches of lift and wheel spac­ers. Aus­tralia of­fers a few dif­fer­ent meth­ods for international trav­ellers bring­ing their own ve­hi­cles to our tracks. The first and most ob­vi­ous is a tem­po­rary im­port per­mit. How­ever, the most com­monly used method is a Carnet de Pas­sage en Douane (CPD), which es­sen­tially func­tions as a pass­port for your ve­hi­cle.

To be el­i­gi­ble, the ve­hi­cle needs to pass a ba­sic safety test in Aus­tralia and be in­sured with third-party prop­erty dam­age at a min­i­mum. International trav­ellers are also re­quired to bring with them reg­is­tra­tion pa­pers from their home coun­try. Once here, the ve­hi­cle can only be driven by nom­i­nated drivers and must be ex­ported be­fore ex­pi­ra­tion of the CPD. The best part is, we can use the same sys­tem to take our ve­hi­cles over­seas.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.