Fire evac­u­a­tion plan urged af­ter lucky es­cape

Albany Advertiser - - NEWS - Tim Ed­munds

Fire­fight­ers have stressed the im­por­tance of res­i­dents hav­ing a fire evac­u­a­tion plan af­ter a woman man­aged to es­cape a house fire in Al­bany yes­ter­day morn­ing.

Al­bany Fire and Res­cue were called to the home on Sey­mour Street at 11.45am af­ter roof in­su­la­tion caught fire and spread to the kitchen.

Three fire­fight­ing units ex­tin­guished the fire within an hour but an es­ti­mated $30,000 dam­age was caused.

Al­bany Fire and Res­cue sta­tion of­fi­cer Greg Mar­shall said it took two fire­fight­ers in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus and one hose reel to douse the fire af­ter it was be­lieved it be­gan from ex­haust fan wiring over­heat­ing the in­su­la­tion.

“That has caused an ex­haust fan to melt, fall down onto a bench­top, which has set the plas­tic door of a mi­crowave on fire,” he said. “So there was flame in the roof and lower on the bench.

“The lady was home at the time and some or­ange caught her eye and she got out and called us and did the right thing.”

Mr Mar­shall said the oc­cu­pant quickly got out of the home and waved down fire crews.

“It’s im­por­tant to have a fire plan. Should it hap­pen, what are you go­ing to do and where are you go­ing to evac­u­ate to,” he said.

“She went to the next block so we could see her.”

Mr Mar­shall said it was cru­cial in­su­la­tion was not placed over wiring and es­pe­cially down­lights.

Pic­ture: Tim Ed­munds

Fire­fight­ers ex­tin­guish the blaze.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.