Flin­ders do the hard yards to make cup fi­nal

Albany Extra - - Extra Sport -

If Flin­ders Park win the Al­bany Ju­nior Soc­cer As­so­ci­a­tion’s un­der-12s knock­out cup, they will have done it the hard way.

They were beaten 3-1 by Great South­ern Gram­mar in the elim­i­na­tion round and tied as best loser with South­lands.

The two met in a play-off, with Flin­ders snatch­ing vic­tory to earn a quar­ter­fi­nal berth against Mt Barker, de­spite their op­po­nents hav­ing the bet­ter op­por­tu­ni­ties.

That left them to face the league lead­ers Yakamia in last Satur­day’s semi­fi­nals.

Yakamia started slowly and pos­si­bly a lit­tle over-con­fi­dent.

They were caught nap­ping when Lach­lan Tin­dale opened the scor­ing for Flin­ders, but Yakamia came out stronger in the sec­ond half.

Leif Wright, who had squan­dered a hat­ful of chances, man­aged to make one count, forc­ing the match into ex­tra time.

Yakamia had the as­cen­dancy and when a weak shot spun vi­ciously, Flin­ders goal­keeper Kiera Wiegele could not deal with it and the shot slipped in.

Time was now slip­ping away for Flin­ders, but with four min­utes left on the clock, a beau­ti­fully struck shot by Dy­lan At­trill in Flin­ders’ first at­tack of ex­tra time saw the spir­its of the whole side lift and panic set in for Yakamia.

A goal-mouth scram­ble re­sulted in the ball slip­ping into the back of the Yakamia net with what was al­most the last kick of the game.

A penalty shootout was then re­quired to sep­a­rate the two teams and Wiegele saved two penal­ties to see her Flin­ders team through to the fi­nal.

The team will meet their first-round op­po­nents Great South­ern Gram­mar af­ter they beat a spir­ited St Joseph’s side 2-0.

It was another close match in the un­der-13s semi­fi­nal be­tween John Calvin and Polo­nia. Early in the first half, Mitchell Post­mus hit a loop­ing shot, giv­ing the Polo­nia goal­keeper ab­so­lutely no chance.

Polo­nia then started to dom­i­nate pos­ses­sion, us­ing their wide play­ers, Luca Trichilo and Tayah Dal­limore, well in at­tack. It seemed to take for­ever, but Polo­nia equalised, only for John Calvin to earn a cor­ner mo­ments af­ter the restart. Another high ball was de­liv­ered and Polo­nia failed to deal with it.

John Calvin’s player of the day Travis Plug cap­i­talised and poked the ball into the back of the net.

With less than a minute to play, Polo­nia scored the equaliser, forc­ing ex­tra time.

Polo­nia moved Ed­die Bell into cen­tral mid­field to work along­side Harry Knowl­son and the move paid off.

Two goals in ex­tra time helped Polo­nia pre­vail 4-2. They now face Stir­ling Rangers in the fi­nal af­ter they beat Great South­ern Gram­mar 3-1.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.