Polo­nia claim league ti­tle with draw

Albany Extra - - Extra Sport -

Stir­ling Rangers gave it their all to over­haul Polo­nia in Al­bany Ju­nior Soc­cer As­so­ci­a­tion un­der-15s but came up short.

Sit­ting level on points, level on head-to-head and level on goals con­ceded, it was only goals scored that sep­a­rated the two sides go­ing into the league de­cider last Sat­ur­day.

Stir­ling started brighter, with Oliver Trichilo ap­pear­ing to have an abun­dance of en­ergy up front, run­ning at the Polo­nia de­fence at ev­ery given op­por­tu­nity.

Polo­nia were alert to the dan­gers and ev­ery time Trichilo re­ceived the ball, two or three play­ers closed him down, which forced shots to come from fur­ther out. A half clear­ance was met by Archie Smith, who punted the ball back twice as fast as it had ini­tially been cleared, and the loop­ing shot was out of the reach of Stir­ling goal­keeper Jordi Walker.

Stir­ling were not giv­ing up and im­me­di­ately set out in search of the equaliser, and with Polo­nia hav­ing worked out the best way to deal with Trichilio, it was an op­por­tu­nity for Cal­lum Jones and Kyle Tay­lor to pull the strings in the Stir­ling mid­field.

Just be­fore half-time, the equaliser came when Jones was not closed down and he had the op­por­tu­nity to lift his head, see the keeper off his line and shoot suc­cess­fully. The en­ergy had been sapped out of both sides in the first half and al­though the ef­fort was there from both, the level of in­ten­sity faded in the sec­ond half.

As the match reached its fi­nal stages, Polo­nia knew a draw would be enough to see them win the league ti­tle, and with 11 play­ers be­hind the ball in the last few mo­ments, they were able to frus­trate Stir­ling with a 1-1 draw.

The sides will play each other again in the cup fi­nal, in which there will have to be a win­ner.

Polo­nia Red and Gram­mar have been in­sep­a­ra­ble this sea­son, with both their pre­vi­ous matches end­ing in draws in the un­der-18s.

When Polo­nia were awarded a penalty that was saved by the out­stand­ing Daniel Mar­ques, it was clear it was not go­ing to be Polo­nia’s day.

Gram­mar went on the of­fen­sive and Matthew Leary was at the heart of ev­ery­thing Gram­mar did, as he scored twice and set up two in a blis­ter­ing first-half dis­play that helped his side go into the break 4-1 ahead.

The sec­ond half was more of the same as Leary grabbed two more goals shortly af­ter half-time to de­mor­alise Polo­nia.

They did man­age a late con­so­la­tion goal through O’Shaye Mor­ri­son, but it was too lit­tle too late and the dam­age had been well and truly done. Polo­nia will now be hop­ing for re­venge when they play them in the cup fi­nal.

Stir­ling Rangers fin­ished the league sea­son with a 3-0 win over Al­bany-Bayswa­ter in the un­der-18s, while John Calvin proved too strong for Rovers, 3-0.

The other leagues were won by Great South­ern Gram­mar in the un­der-12s, with Al­bany Pri­mary pip­ping Yakamia to the run­ner-up spot.

Polo­nia leapfrogged Stir­ling Rangers in the un­der-13s to take the ti­tle by one point.

Polo­nia had al­ready wrapped up the un­der-14s and Cale­do­nians Blue fin­ished run­ner-up af­ter Port Al­bany’s ti­tle chal­lenge de­railed in the last cou­ple of matches.

Polo­nia won the un­der-16s league ti­tle, beat­ing their clos­est chal­lengers Great South­ern Gram­mar by two points.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.