Sail­ing re­turns in friendly con­di­tions

Albany Extra - - Extra Sport - Des Beeck

For the first time in four weeks, sailors at Princess Royal Sail­ing Club were greeted with sun­shine and mod­er­ate winds, and the largest num­ber of yachts in four fleets to com­pete in har­bour-course hand­i­cap-start events.

On Satur­day morn­ing, ju­nior sailors were out in force with a dozen boats in a mixed fleet putting their skills to work and crew­ing on boats in the af­ter­noon to gain more ex­pe­ri­ence.

There was one ca­su­alty in the af­ter­noon’s rac­ing when a di­vi­sion one yacht, Wild One, called for as­sis­tance after los­ing its rud­der near the town ma­rina.

It was a long and slow tow back to the pens in the sloppy con­di­tions.

Vipers were back in ac­tion after three skip­pers and crews re­turned to Al­bany after the world ti­tles in Florida. Michael Cameron in Bite Me had the bet­ter of Mur­ray How­son in Chi­nese Moc­casin and Steve Dines in Fang.

Cameron and How­son had the clos­est en­counter and any slight slip-up gave the other the ad­van­tage but even­tu­ally Bite Me was first and fastest, Chi­nese Moc­casin was sec­ond and an im­prov­ing Fang took third place.

The Viper boys then con­ducted two more short-course heats with mixed re­sults.

Di­vi­sion one be­gan with three starters but as men­tioned ear­lier Wild One was forced to re­tire which left Harold Keay in Shagab­ull and Brett Hawker in Jessie James to bat­tle it out.

Keay, who was away first, was even­tu­ally caught and passed by Jessie James, which was only back in the wa­ter ear­lier in the day and Hawker recorded a first and fastest with Keay in sec­ond place.

Di­vi­sion two be­gan with five in the fleet and Stephen Lee in the scratch boat Flas­heart was just too good as he quickly gob­bled up the lead­ers and went on to win hand­somely.

Bob Giles hav­ing his first out­ing with Foot­loose was look­ing good in the early stages un­til Flas­heart flashed by but he held on to take sec­ond while Stephen Brown, who was short of crew im­pressed with his third plac­ing with Mary Mait­land.

Fly­ing Fif­teens hardly miss a race and the pres­sure was on again in this deadly match rac­ing.

In a hand­i­cap start, Aileen Lu­cas was first away in Crazy and it was Si­mon Lu­cas in FFor­ever Young that had to give chase and although he chopped of three min­utes and clos­ing in rapidly, it was Crazy which pre­vailed to take the hon­ours in an­other close en­counter.

Pic­ture: Des Beeck

Aileen Lu­cas storms home with Crazy in the Fly­ing Fif­teens.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.