Local police station’s history on display
NEXT year will be 160 years since Bright’s first police station opened.
Ironically the station, built in 1859, was at the same location it currently is, only back then Bright was known as Morses Creek.
The immediate area in Park Street also housed the court house and gold commissioner’s office and was referred to as ‘Government Hill’.
In 1866 the police station’s name was changed to the Bright Police Station and was then staffed by a lone mounted trooper, SC Seymour Larkan who remained in charge until 1878.
Numerous OICs followed with the last mounted trooper being 1st Constable Ronald Kirk 8499, completing duty from 1954 to 1961.
Bright remained a one man police station up until 1969 when the staffing level increased from one 1st Constable to include one Ser- geant, Sgt Francis Dempse.
Several other staffing increases occurred up until 1985 when the addition of a Senior Sergeant William Heyden took place.
In 1985 the staff level increased to include one Senior Sergeant, one Sergeant and five other ranks.
There’s now one more ad- ditional ranked officer taking the total to six as well as a public servant.
A brief history of the Bright Police Station is featured at the front of the building including the door from the first cell.
A list of station commanders/officers in charge can also be found in the foyer.
OLD: Bright’s previous police station has been replaced by one four times the size.