House fire ac­ci­den­tal

Augusta Margaret River Times - - News -

Au­thor­i­ties were called to a house fire at 50 Turner Street in Au­gusta on Mon­day.

The rental hol­i­day home was booked, but guests had left for the day. The blaze started about 10.30am and quickly tore through the house, caus­ing the roof to col­lapse.

Fire­fight­ers waited for Western Power to iso­late the elec­tric­ity sup­ply be­fore putting out the fire at 1.30pm.

The to­tal dam­age bill was es­ti­mated at $350,000.

Au­gusta Vol­un­teer Fire and Res­cue fire con­trol of­fi­cer Alex Bern­hagen at­tended the scene and said the house was “fully en­gulfed” by flames when they ar­rived.

“Luck­ily, most of the house was brick,” he said. “If it was a tim­ber house, it would have been a po­ten­tial is­sue for sur­round­ing prop­er­ties.

“The floors were burnt through and there was a coll- apsed space be­neath the house that was dif­fi­cult to get to.”

Au­gusta po­lice said the fire was likely to be an ac­ci­dent and were yet to find the cause.

This rental hol­i­day home on Turner Street, in Au­gusta, burnt down on Mon­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.