Fireys save burn­ing house

Augusta Margaret River Times - - News -

Fire­fight­ers saved a Mar­garet River home from de­struc­tion on Sun­day.

Mar­garet River Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice Vol­un­teers re­ceived a call at 4.45am and were at Sam­worth Street within 10 min­utes, with the Witch­cliffe and Cowaramup brigades called for back-up.

The fire started in the home’s out­side laun­dry and was put out just be­fore 5.30am.

Mar­garet River VFRS Cap­tain Jeff Bushby said the fire was be­lieved to be ac­ci­den­tal, but the cause was un­known. “We man­aged to con­tain the fire very quickly,” he said.

“About 80 per cent of the home and con­tents were saved, which is a great out­come.”

The to­tal dam­age bill was es­ti­mated at $80,000.

Mr Bushby said the in­ci­dent should serve as a re­minder to check smoke alarms.

“Only work­ing smoke alarms save lives, be­cause smoke is un­de­tectable when you are fast asleep,” he said.

Pic­ture: Mar­garet River VFRS

Mar­garet River Vol­un­teer Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice at­tended a fire on Sam­worth Street on Sun­day. The fire caused $80,000 dam­age.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.