Independent Directors (2 x positions available)
Australian Forestry Standard (AFS) Ltd is a not-for-profit company established in 2002 to promote the sustainable management of Australia’s plantation and native forests. To accomplish this aim, AFS owns and manages the Australian Forest Standard Certification Scheme. The Scheme is underpinned by two endorsed Australian Standards®, AS4708- Sustainable Forest Management and the associated Standard® for chain of custody of certified wood and forest products AS4707. As of August 2017, over 24 million ha of Australia’s plantation and native forests are sustainably managed under AS4708 and over 300 sites across Australia operate a chain of custody management system certified to AS4707.
AFS Ltd, is one of only five (5) standards development organisations accredited by Standards Australia to write and develop fully endorsed and recognised Australian Standards®. AFS is a member of the international Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), and the Australian Forest Certification Scheme has achieved international mutual recognition as an endorsed PEFC scheme. AFS Ltd promotes domestic and international markets for sustainably produced forest products through AFS and PEFC supply chain product labelling. Membership of the Australian Forestry Standard is open to all individuals and organisations who support the objects of the organisation. AFS Ltd is governed by a board of up to nine directors, six appointed by the members, and up to three Independent directors (ie not members of AFS Ltd or employees of members) appointed by the board. The chair is appointed from among the independent directors. The board meets around 3-5 times a year, with additional meetings of board committees (Audit & Risk, Governance and Marketing) as required. Independent directors are appointed according to their skills and experience to ensure the board collectively has the capacity to effectively advance AFS objectives. Independent directors will be selected with a focus on the following skills and experience:
• A strong background in sustainability, especially in the areas of the built environment, specification and design.
• An extensive network within the Australian and International building design, architectural, environmental or academic communities.
• Be well regarded and respected by Australian environmental and/or scientific organisations.
• Marketing and promotion of sustainable products or solutions (building or consumer products), including promotion and retail marketing
Environment and Community
• Social marketing and community engagement
• Rural and regional community development and employment
• Indigenous community development and education.
Management and Public Policy
• Corporate governance
• Standards development and management
• Public policy and administration
• Business and financial management, including legal issues and risk management
• The Australian Forestry Standard supports and encourages diversity and gender balance. Indigenous and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications close on September 30, 2017
Applications can be submitted to the Chief Executive Officer, PO Box 786, New Farm, QLD 4005 or email: email@example.com.
Tel: +61 438 265 975.
WOOD IS GOOD, CERTIFIED IS BETTER