Par­sons knows

Australian Muscle Car - - Muscle Man -

Par­sons took another year off in 1991 be­fore re­turn­ing in 1992 in another Sierra, this time with Glenn Se­ton Rac­ing.

“There was in­ter­est from To­mas Mez­era, who was run­ning HRT, and Dick John­son of­fered me $25,000, but Glenn had been watch­ing. I saw him and said, ‘I’m stop­ping with you’. Not many know about that.”

Par­sons would drive for Se­ton’s team for the next six years.

“I co-drove at the en­duros with Wayne Park, who was do­ing ATCC rounds. We fin­ished eighth at Bathurst. The bloody things were a big hand­ful. Both Glenn and I chipped our right el­bows. They used to lock the rear brakes, we’d grab a hand­ful of lock and blacked my el­bow on the foam­less cross-mem­bers (on the rollcage). I still have a float­ing bit of bone in my el­bow.”

Fi­nally in 1993 Par­sons was back in a V8, and for the first time a Fal­con. He shared a GSR Ford with Ge­off Brab­ham (who only months ear­lier had won the Le Mans 24 Hours), snag­ging a sur­prise win at Sandown.

“At Sandown ev­ery­one was crash­ing, but we had good pace. I said to Ge­off to keep it straight, don’t over rev it, nail the pit­stops and we’ll be fine. And that’s what we did. Ge­off was very slow to start with but I did help him to pick up his pace. I did a dou­ble-stint and Ge­off fin­ished the race. At Bathurst we fin­ished sixth, all good, though maybe a bit off the pace.”

In 1994 Par­sons teamed up with Alan Jones in the sec­ond GSR Fal­con. He re­mem­bers the burly ex-F1 World Cham­pion fondly.

“A re­ally good guy. We got on like a house on fire. AJ qual­i­fied at Bathurst and he was quick. But I only did a few laps be­fore we re­tired.

In 1995 Par­sons was en­tered with Jones in the sec­ond GSR Fal­con, with the team boss and Al­lan Grice to be paired to­gether for the race. After qual­i­fy­ing, Se­ton de­cided to switch Par­sons, the fastest of the three hired hands, into the lead car with him­self.

“AJ was good about it. He wasn’t happy and nei­ther was Grice. AJ said, ‘If that’s what the boss wants; he pays the bills.”

This was the Bathurst 1000 where Se­ton came clos­est to snar­ing an elu­sive win, only to stop with a bro­ken rocker nine laps from the end. It would rob Par­sons of a sec­ond Bathurst win. He gives an in­ter­est­ing anal­y­sis on the state of play with the GSR Ford en­gines.

“It broke a rocker and dropped a valve. Glenn over-revved it once – by 250 revs. AJ should have won it (he came sec­ond). He over-revved four times a lap! He was no­to­ri­ous on down­shifts – 8500 and 9000rpm! But he kept go­ing. We were way in front. It was the luck of the draw. I had the ut­most re­spect for Glenn. He was just the un­luck­i­est guy around Bathurst.”

Par­sons would team up twice more with Se­ton in 1996 and 1997. They qual­i­fied on the front row both times but had lit­tle to show for it.

Above: Vic­tory in the Sandown 500 was a highlight of his stint with Glenn Se­ton’s team. The low­light, apart from the mini mul­let, was be­ing robbed of a sec­ond Bathurst vic­tory through the team’s mis­for­tunes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.