TOODYAY’S historic Syred’s Cottage, built in 1859, is up for sale as the Shire looks for a buyer who will preserve the historical property.
William Syred, the first settler to Bejoording, built a mudbrick house and blacksmith shop on a hectare of land 26km from Toodyay town centre.
A school was built in the 1860s and ticket of leave men were employed as teachers and farm labourers.
The building is two single- storey dwellings joined by a breezeway.
According to the Shire of Toodyay, the cottage holds historical significance and represents rural settlement in the Avon Valley and there are potentially “sub- surface archaeological remains”.
Have a milestone? Tell us at: email@example.com. au