Focus shifts to young people
A community forum was recently held as part of the Benalla place-based suicide-prevention trial.
Part of the governance structure of the trial is to meet with the community every six months in a community meeting format.
Eighty-Five people attended on the night to hear from speakers and many took part in a panel discussion with performance artists Listening to Voices.
A Murray PHN spokesperson said attendees were asked to vote on their top priority to be worked on within the community as part of the place-based trial.
‘‘The community voted for the topic ‘Pre-Teen Intervention and Preventions’, which has a focus on addressing youth suicide and self-harm,’’ the spokesperson said.
‘‘This will be a focus of the trial going forward.
‘‘A taskforce has now been formed to determine what this means in Benalla and for the trial.’’
The steering group will meet this month to determine how this will be implemented within the community.
● There are a number of services available for people who are struggling with mental health issues:
● Lifeline: 131 114
● Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
● Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800
● Mental Health Crisis Line: 1300 783 347
● Beyondblue: 1300 224 636
● StandBy 24/7 support after suicide number: 0439 173 310
● National Indigenous Critical Response Service: 1800 805 801