FROM THE ARCHIVES
15 YEARS AGO November 7, 2002
A refrigerator is believed to have ignited a fire that caused $200,000 damage to Hutchinson Real Estate and placed the heritage-listed Sun Pictures in Carnarvon Street under threat.
Broome Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service captain Rob Kirwan said he was alerted to the blaze just before 1am on October 29 by Perth’s operations centre.
Broome Detective-Sergeant Pete Jenal said an electrical fault in the refrigerator caused the blaze.
10 YEARS AGO November 8, 2007
The Port of Broome has been awarded a 2007 Work Safety Award for its outstanding commitment to occupational safety and health management in the work place.
The port was awarded best public sector leadership for injury prevention and management.
It will be automatically entered into the National Safe Work Australia Awards to be announced in early 2008.
5 YEARS AGO November 8, 2012
A pre-season NAB Cup Regional AFL match in 2014 is in the sights of the Shire of Broome.
The Shire was approached by the West Australian Football Commission in June about whether facilities at the Father McMahon Sports Field were up to scratch for a match to be held early in 2013.
Broome was ineligible to host the game, but keen to compete for another opportunity.