Match re­ports, pic­tures, coaches com­ments, women’s fi­nal wrap up and more.

Broome Advertiser - - FRONT PAGE - Jakeb Waddell

The Looma Ea­gles wrote the fi­nal chap­ter in their fairy­tale sea­son on Satur­day when they booted a goal af­ter the siren to pinch the 2018 West Kim­ber­ley Foot­ball League tro­phy.

The gut-wrench­ing grand fi­nal saw the Ea­gles get up over mi­nor pre­miers Ca­ble Beach by six points to win their first flag since 2013.

There was lit­tle sep­a­rat­ing the two sides, who went goal-for-goal for most of the match, right down to the last siren.

Sylvester Rangie kicked the first goal of the game for the Ea­gles, which drew an enor­mous re­ac­tion from the hun­dreds of fans at Haynes Oval.

A solid tackle from Beach’s Bran­don Skeen pre­vented an­other quick one for the Looma side and Harry Tay­lor soon got Ca­ble on the board.

CJ Oak­ley took the mark of the match in the mid­field but it was not enough to keep the mo­men­tum go­ing for his side, as Ash­win Bil­gin and Remahli Skeen put two more goals on the board for Looma be­fore quar­ter-time.

Ca­ble Beach came out with a bang in the sec­ond, with Keilan Davey slot­ting a goal quickly, fol­lowed by a big one from Sonny Dann.

In an im­pres­sive play that had the crowd on their feet, Jef­fer­son Pin­dan brought the ball from the Ea­gles’ back line right down to their for­ward 50m and kicked it to Vin­cent Skinner, who scored the side’s first of the quar­ter.

Ben De Meo’s tremen­dous first half was re­warded with a goal af­ter a 50m penalty, but again Looma fin­ished the quar­ter off strongly, with Skinner and Remahli Skeen notch­ing an­other two to

keep a five-point lead at half-time.

Sa­muel Buck was quick to get the Ea­gles on the board in the third but mas­sive goals by Dann and Oak­ley lev­elled things up once again.

Jor­dan King nailed a shot from nearly 50m out but Bil­gin quickly re­sponded for the Ea­gles.

Davey booted an­other one right be­fore the siren to re­duce Looma’s lead to one point go­ing into the fi­nal term.

Hay­den Smith got the im­por­tant first goal of the fourth quar­ter for Looma but Joseph Dann quickly lev­elled things again.

Scores re­mained dead even un­til the end and with just 10 sec­onds left on the clock, Smith took a mark right in front of goal. Fans stormed the field in cel­e­bra­tion be­fore Smith took his kick, know­ing even a point would bring the tro­phy to the re­mote com­mu­nity. But Smith did not miss and emo­tions ran high as the Ea­gles rev­elled in the glory of their win.

Remahli Skeen was named man of the match for his stand-out mid­field per­for­mance, topped off by two crit­i­cal goals. Coach Win­ston Pin­dan con­grat­u­lated his side, as well as the op­po­si­tion, for the game.

“This was a hard sea­son for us but you grew as a team and kept work­ing hard and you de­serve this win,” he told his side.

“Up the Looma Ea­gles.”

Sa­muel Buck kicked two goals for the Looma Ea­gles.

Remahli Skeen makes a speech af­ter be­ing named man of the match.

Pho­tos avail­able at west­pix.com.au

An­thony Treacy escapes a tackle by Ed­ward McGinty.

The Looma Ea­gles cel­e­brate their vic­tory. Pic­tures: Jakeb Waddell

CJ Oak­ley puts boot to ball for Ca­ble Beach.

Bran­don Skeen pre­pares to boot the ball for Ca­ble Beach.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.