Rent As­sis­tance

Central and North Burnett Times - - OPINION -

RENT As­sis­tance is a pay­ment to help you pay your rent. It gives you ex­tra as­sis­tance if you have a low in­come and are rent­ing your home, gen­er­ally in the pri­vate rental mar­ket. You may be able to ac­cess Rent As­sis­tance if you are re­ceiv­ing or are el­i­gi­ble for gov­ern­ment pay­ment, are classed as a non-home­owner and pay a set min­i­mum amount of rent each fort­night. The amount of as­sis­tance we can claim will de­pend on your fam­ily sit­u­a­tion and the amount of rent you pay.

Sin­gle peo­ple who share their home may be paid at a lower rate (the shar­ers’ rate). Some home own­ers in sit­u­a­tions may also get rent as­sis­tance. If you live in a re­tire­ment vil­lage or travel around Aus­tralia, for ex­am­ple, you may still be en­ti­tled to re­ceive rent as­sis­tance.

I be­lieve it is im­por­tant that ev­ery­one who is in the po­si­tion of pay­ing rent should contact their near­est Cen­tre­link of­fice to find out their en­ti­tle­ments.

Noel Thomp­son Peo­ple for Eidsvold

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.