Petition on track
Railway unused since 2008 Support to preserve heritage Council looking for options Walking track a possibility
A TRAIN hasn’t touched the tracks of the Monto Branch Line since March 2008.
Millions of dollars in railway land and infrastructure is untouched and North Burnett Regional Council is searching for a use.
On June 1 the council will meet with Queensland Rail to discuss options for the railway corridor.
Monto resident Drew Forsyth has started a petition to preserve the railway and its historical significance.
“The groundswell of support now is great. So far everyone thinks it’s a great idea,” he said.
Mr Forsyth hopes to engage the historical societies of each town in the Central and North Burnett to help maintain the corridor and infrastructure.
“We want communities to stand up and be counted, a little bit of slashing and keep it tidy,” he said.
Mr Forsyth said some sections of line were in top condition and could be used to run old steam engines for special occasions.
Another possibility is the creation of a walking trail.
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail is an example of what can be achieved on disused lines, providing a scenic and historic route for walkers, horse riders and cyclists.
Mayor Don Waugh said a walking trail was under consideration before the flood.
“The amount of buildings and land is amazing,” Cr Waugh said.
“I’m asking councillors to talk to residents about what they would like to do.”
HISTORIC RAILWAY: Drew Forsyth has started a petition to save the Monto Branch Line.