Monto woman twigs to scam

Central and North Burnett Times - - NEWS - Ge­orge Smith ge­orge.smith@cnbtimes.com.au

A MONTO res­i­dent has been the lat­est vic­tim in a se­ries of phone scams.

Betty Now­land-Smith re­ceived a call last week from a man pos­ing as fed­eral govern­ment em­ployee, claim­ing she had been un­der­paid.

She im­me­di­ately ad­vised her bank and was told she was the sec­ond per­son to be tar­geted in that week in the re­gion.

Ms Now­land-Smith was asked to con­firm her iden­tity by the man.

“I was then told I had been un­der­paid and would be paid the amount $5248,” she said.

“Im­me­di­ately I sensed there was some­thing not quite right, but I led the caller on and he gave me a ref­er­ence code and a woman’s phone num­ber to call to re­ceive the pay­ment.

“I never rang the num­ber as it seemed like a trap so I rang ScamWatch and the po­lice who ad­vised me it was a scam.”

Ear­lier in the week a male French national was ar­rested and charged with wil­ful dam­age and pos­ses­sion of a knife.

Monto Po­lice’s Se­nior Sergean­tWerner Crous said the man painted the graf­fiti tag OSEY at the skate park at Lions Park.

The man will ap­pear at Biloela Mag­is­trates Court on June 17.

Monto Po­lice are also re­quest­ing wit­nesses to come for­ward re­gard­ing burn out marks on Ox­ley St be­tween the Le­ich­hardt and Stu­art St in­ter­sec­tions. Phone 4166 1211.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.