Pat gained re­spect wher­ever he roamed

Central and North Burnett Times - - YOUR COMMUNITY -

AC­COUN­TANT and bril­liant sports­man, Patrick Ge­orge Whelan claimed to have “sat with ho­bos, drunk with pau­pers and dined with princesses”.

Aca­dem­i­cally gifted at school, the first son of Joe and Kitty Whelan be­gan his var­ied ca­reer at the Mun­dub­bera Post Of­fice, be­fore de­cid­ing to work his way around Aus­tralia with good mate Bill Love.

Their ex­cur­sion took them first to a cheese fac­tory in Jandowae, then to a steel fac­tory in Kem­bla Grange, New South-Wales, and fi­nally to Mor­rinsville, New Zealand, where Pat be­gan a ca­reer as a book­keeper for a fer­tiliser com­pany.

Here he met and mar­ried maid Mar­ion, with whom he had two chil­dren, Kathy and Blaine.

Af­ter qual­i­fy­ing as an ac­coun­tant, Pat be­came New Zealand’s youngest bank man­ager upon his ap­point­ment as Waihi branch man­ager for Waikato Sav­ings Bank.

Af­ter sev­eral years, Pat moved into lo­cal govern­ment and was ap­pointed deputy town clerk at Mount Maun­ganui, be­fore re­lo­cat­ing back to Waihi as town clerk.

Four­teen years later Pat be­came Otahu Auck­land CEO, where one of his high­lights was host­ing and din­ing with Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

One of his favourite say­ings af­ter a few ales at Wu­ruma Dam hut was: “I have sat with ho­bos, drunk with pau­pers and dined with princesses”.

Pat re­turned to Aus­tralia in 1984 when his fa­ther fell ill. Af­ter his fa­ther’s death, Pat be­came deputy chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer, then CEO of Tor­res Strait Is­lan­der Shire.

He later re­turned to Mun­dub­bera to work in the field of ac­coun­tancy un­til his re­tire­ment, af­ter which he as­sisted with the book­keep­ing of close friends and lo­cal as­so­ci­a­tions.

Pat was a bril­liant sports­man, gifted at cricket and rugby union.

Be­fore leav­ing Aus­tralia, Pat was selected in the Queens­land Colts Cricket team.

In New Zealand he achieved many sport­ing honours, in­clud­ing se­lec­tion in the North­ern Districts Provin­cial Cricket side, which is the equiv­a­lent of play­ing for his state.

He later top-scored in the game against the Aus­tralian tour­ing side and cap­tained many rep sides in­clud­ing tours to Fiji. He was well known for achiev­ing more than 1000 runs in five con­sec­u­tive sea­sons.

He also played for his prov­ince in rugby union and was an ac­com­plished golfer and lawn bowler.

Pat loved fish­ing, but fish rarely came home. He spent many week­ends at the beloved old hut on Wu­ruma Dam fish­ing with his old mates Muzza, Ray, the late Noel Dun­can and his brother Dan.

On one trip, Jud and Adrian tied Pat to his bed one night, and when he went to get up in the mid­dle of the night, there was a mighty roar as Pat thought he was paral­ysed be­cause his legs wouldn’t move.

He will be sadly missed by his two chil­dren, two grand­daugh­ters, four sis­ters and brother. Coun­cil­lor Faye Whelan


The Cen­tral and North Bur­nett Times apol­o­gises for the in­cor­rect photo in last week’s paper.


DEARLY MISSED: Well-known Mun­dub­bera man Patrick Whelan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.