Giving up is not an option
THE case to bring senior classes to Mundubbera will be stronger this time around.
Councillor Faye Whelan, who also led the last application to the government, addressed a meeting of 30 parents and citizens last Thursday.
Earlier this month a spokesperson for the Department of Education said numbers were insufficient at the school to offer a range of subject choices or a quality education for students in their senior years.
But Cr Whelan said numbers at the Mundubbera State School were “much better now”. “At the time of the last submission there were only 16 children in grade 10 and 15 (students) in grade 9,” she said.
“Now we have 30 students in grade 10, and 27 (students) in grade 9.
“The numbers are much better now through all the grades in the school.”
Parent Tony Kassulke said giving up was not an option.
“Last time we gave up and caved in to soon,” he said.
“I was and still am disappointed that we gave up so easily.
“We just won’t accept no for an answer.”
Cr Whelan said she was hoping for a meeting with the Education Minister.
North Burnett Regional Council has included the school expanding to include P–12 in its corporate plan.
But, she said, the council has been too busy with other things, such as the floods and budgets.
Cr Whelan will call another meeting in the coming weeks to form a committee to work through the details of a new application.