Man to face court after 000 phone call
A 22-YEAR-OLD man will face court on February 26 after he allegedly threatened police officers in a 000 phone call last week.
The man was charged with using a telecommunications device to menace, threaten, harass or intimidate.
Mundubbera’s Sergeant Shaughan Lanham said the man allegedly threatened to stab police at Mundubbera on Saturday night.
He was also charged with assaulting police when the officers attended the address.
“The occurrence of cybercrime is certainly on the increase with reports and complaints over the last three months getting out of hand,” Sgt Lanham said.
“People are threatening and abusing each other on Facebook, and Twitter, they are attacking each other with text messages and by email.
“This is a criminal act and anyone who is guilty of this will be charged and there is always plenty of evidence.”
Sgt Lanham said people in general may not know it was a crime to assault or threaten someone when on a phone or computer.
Social media companies can also be fined $17,000 a day under proposed legislation, as the Abbott Government attempts to protect Australian children from cyber bullying.
In the latest effort to tackle abuse directed at children, the bill proposes the introduction of a Children’s E-Safety Commissioner to police cyber bullying.