Gayndah man dies in hor­rific ac­ci­dent

It is be­lieved the chair ig­nited af­ter a ci­garette was dropped

Central and North Burnett Times - - NEWS - Adam McCleery

Michael Richards I came over and saw that he was fully alight back and front, I got the hose.

A 76-YEAR-OLD Gayndah man died af­ter he was en­gulfed by flames at his home and sus­tained burns to 85% of his body.

RACQ Care Flight air­lifted Neville Stark, who was in crit­i­cal con­di­tion, to Royal Bris­bane Hospi­tal on Thurs­day where he later died.

Neigh­bours rushed to Mr Stark’s aid and used a hose to douse the flames.

Michael Richards was one of the first peo­ple to help Mr Stark and said by the time he got there, he was en­gulfed in flames.

“I no­ticed bil­low­ing smoke,” Mr Richards said.

“I came over and saw that he was fully alight back and front, I got the hose.”

It is be­lieved Mr Stark dropped a ci­garette onto his foam in­layed chair which caught alight at a rapid rate.

A Queens­land Am­bu­lance Ser­vice spokesper­son said it was re­mark­able Mr Stark was still con­scious when they ar­rived at his home.

The QAS spokesper­son said it ap­peared that the foam couch was of a highly flammable ma­te­rial which caused it to burn at a rapid rate.

Mr Richards wanted to com­mend the brav­ery of other neigh­bours who helped Mr Stark as best they could.

“I would like to say that it was a com­bined ef­fort on all that were present,” Mr Richards said.

“Thelma Bernie was straight onto the phone for the am­bu­lance while oth­ers who were present helped to keep the hose on Neville.”

Mr Richards said they all kept re­as­sur­ing Mr Stark that all would be okay.

“Another neigh­bour picked up Neville’s dog and in­formed Neville’s fam­ily of what had hap­pened,” Mr Richards said.

Mr Richards said that the re­tire­ment vil­lage was a small but close knit group of men and women.

Mr Stark’s fu­neral is sched­uled for Fri­day, June 3.

PHOTO: ADAM MCCLEERY

COUCH IG­NITES: A Gayndah man has died af­ter he suf­fered sig­nif­i­cant burns af­ter he dropped a ci­garette on the couch he was sit­ting on and it burst into flames.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.