John Lux­ton died af­ter a car crash on Satur­day,

Central and North Burnett Times - - FRONT PAGE - Tobi Lof­tus and Erica Mur­ree

BIGGEN­DEN man John Lux­ton, who served in the RAAF dur­ing the Sec­ond World War, died on Satur­day, June 18, fol­low­ing a car crash near Dal­larnil.

The 94-year-old ex-ser­vice­man was a pas­sion­ate mem­ber of the com­mu­nity.

Ev­ery year Mr Lux­ton would par­tic­i­pate in the Biggen­den An­zac Day march, not by march­ing but aboard his go­pher along­side ex-ser­vice­men and women.

John was un­der­age when he tried to join the RAAF but, one way or another, he was de­ter­mined to join the forces.

“Need­ing my par­ents’ con­sent, I asked my fa­ther and he said ask your mother who au­to­mat­i­cally burst into a flood of tears,” Mr Lux­ton told the Cen­tral and North Bur­nett Times in 2014.

“The army took any­one and my brother got his clear­ance and joined up but I still had to wait my time to join the RAAF.

“On one oc­ca­sion, I took a day off il­le­gally to see the re­cruit­ing of­fi­cer but they were cun­ning as one of the last peo­ple I had to see was from my work­place.

“He promptly told me to get back to work or he’d get the po­lice onto me.

“In the end, I just went to work, sat around and smoked so they would let me go and join up.”

John got his wish when he was 20 and joined the RAAF in Syd­ney on Septem­ber 15, 1942.

He was al­ways keen to be an elec­tri­cian so trained in Ade­laide and then joined the Group 2 air­craft elec­tri­cians.

John was posted to the RAAF base at Nowra and be­came in­volved with the 60TU (op­er­at­ing train­ing unit) with the Beaufort air­craft.

“I went to Ade­laide to do an elec­tri­cal fit­ter’s course and then to Uran­quinty, near Wagga, where I met the love of my life, Ruth, who was a WAAF flight me­chanic at a dance,” Mr Lux­ton said.

“I pro­posed to her around the time the Ja­panese sur­ren­dered. I then signed up for ex­tra ser­vice with the 87 Squadron at Parkes while Ruth was dis­charged.

“In July 1946, I was posted to Syd­ney, dis­charged and we mar­ried on Oc­to­ber 16 of the same year,” he said

John and Ruth found Biggen­den when they fell in love with their El­iz­a­beth St home 30 years ago.

Ruth Lux­ton passed away in 2006.

Mr Lux­ton died trag­i­cally on the week­end af­ter he struck a con­crete cul­vert on the Isis Hwy about 5.30pm.

In a state­ment, po­lice said Mr Lux­ton was taken to hospi­tal but where died from his in­juries.

The Foren­sic Crash Unit is in­ves­ti­gat­ing.


VALE: John Lux­ton al­ways wanted to join the RAAF.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.