Early days of carnival
WHEN station master Bill Prickett called a meeting to form a sports club with the idea of getting country people together it fell through due to lack of interest. persisted and a He new club was formed with the motto being “As we live we grow”.
Dallarnil in the 1920s was a very prosperous country township and boasted a town population of 200 and two hotels. Sporting events were organised twice yearly on Foundation Days and Royal Birthdays. Special trains were run from Bundaberg and Brisbane connecting at Goodwood on the main line for the journey to Dallarnil. These events brought together horsemen, cyclists, athletes, boxers and runners. The Dallarnil Sports Club had to cater for huge crowds. Members’ wives toiled throughout the day, providing snacks and two- course lunches at minimal costs.
Providing the facilities for events required bees. They built working a saucer-shaped cycle track of a quarter mile circuit, high jump hurdles, yards, a hunting buck-jumping track and a laned race track for the runner. The Sports Club went into recess years of World War during the Two, but reformed in 1945. The club is looking for memorabilia for its upcoming centenary.