Man pleads guilty to 2015 Mundubbera stabbing
A MUNDUBBERA man who stabbed another man in the neck last year will spend no more time behind bars after having his charge downgraded from attempted murder to unlawful wounding.
Shaun William Dennison appeared in Maryborough Supreme Court on Tuesday after pleading guilty to stabbing a then 41-year-old man in the neck and arm in a Mundubbera street in July last year.
Dennison, now 38, offered to plead guilty to unlawful wounding, despite being charged with attempted murder, on September 26. His plea was accepted by the court.
The court heard that the two men were known to each other, and had both been in a relationship and had children with the same woman.
Crown Prosecutor Jodie Wooldridge told the court the victim and his son had followed Dennison from his home after an argument.
It was in a public street during work hours, about 11am, that the incident turned violent.
“The defendant has produced the knife from its sheath and chased the complainant, in running from the defendant who was brandishing the knife, the complainant has tripped,” Ms Wooldridge said.
“The defendant has taken the opportunity to get on top of the complainant and wounded his neck with the knife.”
Ms Wooldridge said the injury to the victim’s neck had cut the jugular vein.
The court heard of Dennison’s extensive criminal history; including time served in prison, 40 convictions and 14 other appearances in court.
Judge Byrne said he accepted Dennison was taunted by the complainant before the attack.
He said he also considered Dennison’s extensive criminal history, which included assault and weapons charges.
After spending more than 15 months in pre-sentence custody, Dennison was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment, though was released on parole straight away.