Central and North Burnett Times - - FRONT PAGE - Elaine Hunter

BORN Elaine Mar­ion Cock­ing on Septem­ber 18, 1927, Elaine lived with her fam­ily at “Hil­lyview” at Coal­stoun Lakes which was se­lected by one of her grand­fa­thers in 1908.

Her other grand­fa­ther was also a pi­o­neer of the Coal­stoun Lakes area so she was very proud of her fam­ily his­tory here.

On Jan­uary 26, 1952, Elaine mar­ried Stan­ley Roy Hunter. They lived in Doolbi and Childers be­fore mov­ing back to Hil­lyview in 1959.

Born and raised on the farm, there was noth­ing she wouldn’t do.

She was al­ways lend­ing a hand even when she was told not to or she was cook­ing up a storm in the kitchen for ev­ery meal of the day.

Even when she had to re­sort to us­ing a walk­ing stick, she would still make her way to the yards when there was cat­tle work to be done.

There was no way she was go­ing to miss out.

Roy and Elaine had dairy cat­tle for many years with Elaine hav­ing a name for ev­ery cow.

She loved hand feed­ing the lit­tle calves and even had an area named Elaine’s cafe­te­ria where she fed them.

When they fin­ished dairy­ing in 1974, it gave Elaine more time to spend in her beloved gar­den.

She could grow ab­so­lutely any­thing so con­se­quently her gar­den kept ex­pand­ing es­pe­cially with her favourites the frangi­pani and hibis­cus.

She had many fruit trees and a big veg­etable patch but they had to go by the way­side as she got older.

Her favourite place to sit was the front ve­randa at Hil­lyview which over­looked her gar­den and the val­ley.

Elaine was a tal­ent at sewing, knit­ting and cro­chet­ing. She never owned a bought dress as she al­ways made her own clothes.

She could sew a dress just by see­ing a pic­ture in a mag­a­zine.

She also made all the clothes for her chil­dren Gary and Wendy when they were younger.

Her orig­i­nal Singer sewing ma­chine still sits proudly and fully op­er­a­tional in her sewing room.

She loved be­ing in the kitchen cook­ing up a storm whether it be for a fam­ily get-to­gether, a cent auc­tion or the Biggen­den Show.

For many years she would spend weeks be­fore the show cook­ing her en­tries whether it be cakes, lol­lies or jams.

The fam­ily loved this time of the year be­cause if god for­bid, a cake came out of the oven with a crack in it, it was all theirs for the tak­ing.

When she thought that she should give some­one else a chance to win, she be­came a judge with Joyce Fowler trav­el­ling around the area to dif­fer­ent shows.

She al­ways cooked heaps for the lo­cal cent auc­tions es­pe­cially her fa­mous cho­co­late fudge.

Elaine was al­ways there with a help­ing hand at any func­tion at the lo­cal hall whether it was clean­ing up the hall be­fore­hand, work­ing in the kitchen, wash­ing up or clean­ing up af­ter­wards.

Like her mother, Mar­cella, Elaine was a nat­u­rally gifted pi­anist.

At just 14 Elaine earned a dis­tinc­tion in As­so­ciate of Mu­sic which would al­low her to at­tend the Mu­sic Con­ser­va­to­rium in Bris­bane ex­cept that she was un­der the min­i­mum age.

She played the pi­ano, or­gan and pi­ano ac­cor­dion on many oc­ca­sions in­clud­ing con­certs, dances and many wed­dings, the first when she was just 12 years old.

She of­ten played at the Rain­bow Room at the Biggen­den Hos­pi­tal for the oldies.

Her great­est plea­sure by far, how­ever, was play­ing for the Dun­dar­rah Dumplings ev­ery New Year’s Eve at the Mar­shall res­i­dence.

She liked noth­ing more than hav­ing peo­ple stand­ing around the pi­ano or or­gan hav­ing a good old-fash­ioned sin­ga­long.

Noth­ing up­set her more than when she be­gan to get arthri­tis in her fingers and wasn’t able to play to per­fec­tion.

Al­though no one else could tell if she hit a wrong note, it mat­tered to her so her play­ing be­came less fre­quent.

Even at home when she was sur­rounded by only her fam­ily, she didn’t like to play be­cause it wouldn’t be per­fect. That’s how much she loved it.

Elaine loved hav­ing her fam­ily around her, es­pe­cially her grand-kids.

Even as de­men­tia set in in the last 12 months, she could still come out with some one-lin­ers that would leave her fam­ily in stitches.

She was dev­as­tated when she lost her beloved Roy last De­cem­ber.

A few months ago she had to leave Hil­lyview and move to the aged care sec­tion of the Biggen­den Hos­pi­tal where she re­ceived ex­cep­tional care un­til her death on Septem­ber 2.


RE­MEM­BERED: The late Elaine Hunter of Coal­stoun Lakes with her late hus­band Roy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.