125 YEARS FOR STATE SCHOOL
AFTER Biggenden was linked by rail with the Maryborough-Gympie line on May 13, 1891, the first allotment of Biggenden land was auctioned.
On September 12 that same year, a public meeting was convened and a school building committee elected.
Within 6km of Biggenden there now lived 47 children aged between five and 16.
With a site chosen, the committee had on hand the sum of about 50 pounds with which they proposed to erect a building.
On May 9, 1892, the Biggenden Provisional School became operational. The building was 22 feet by 14 feet and today is the administration office and staffroom.
As funds permitted, additional verandas were added. Enrolment for the June quarter was 50 pupils. The first head teacher was Miss Mary Jane Moreland.
In 1899, it was decided to replace the provisional school with a state school, which opened on January 1, 1900.
Since that first public meeting, the changes to education in Biggenden have been many and varied.
Through the years, the school has had to accommodate more children due to a growing population.
Curriculum changes had to be made to accommodate manual training, so extensions were made in 1950. Prior to this, the building known as the School of Arts was used as a home science section.
From these humble beginnings, the Biggenden State School has played an important role in the development of the district.
The school now has 140 students encompassing Prep to Year 10.
CELEBRATING 125 YEARS: Biggenden State School was a single building when it began.