Interest is climbing for netball
NETBALL: Junior netball night competition starts up in Monto next Wednesday, with a legion of young players ready and raring to go.
Under-15 training began in March while under 10s and under 12 sign-on began last week, with weekly Wednesday night practice down at the Combined Sports Field court.
Under 10s play from 3.30pm-4.30pm, under 12s 4.30pm to 5.30pm and under 15s 5pm-6.30 as well as an extra Monday night session.
The first inter-team competition will take place next Wednesday at 6.30pm and 7.30pm, with eight teams participating, a step up from six last year.
Monto Netball Association secretary Tara Harm said it was very exciting to see interest for junior netball going up.
“We actually had quite a bit of interest last year after the competition began of people wanting to play, so we put it out there more this year so everyone knew what was happening with night netball and how we play,” Mrs Harm said.
“We have great numbers in junior players and already worked out we have 34 under-10 players, 10 under-12 players and 19 under-15 players.”
With so many under 10s, they’ll be able to have four teams just for the them, ensuring nobody needs to be cut.
The eight teams will play each other four or five times throughout the season, with a grand final in October-November to decide the best.
Junior players will participate in four carnivals between Monto, Mundubbera, Gayndah and Nanango, the first one taking place midway through term two of school.
The Netball Association is also looking for an extra coach to accommodate the under 10s.
“We’re still looking for a fourth under-10s coach so we can provide a fourth team time so the kids get more game time and one-on-one with a coach,” Mrs Harm said.
Anyone interested in coaching can phone Tara on 0457 597 966.
COMPETITION: More teams than ever before signed up for Monto Junior Netball.