Bur­nett man stayed strong for his fam­ily

Central and North Burnett Times - - NEWS -

GE­ORGE Lewis was born in Monto, Septem­ber 16 1935, the el­dest son of Cyril and Eve­lyn Lewis.

He had three broth­ers Alan, Cyril and Barry and one sis­ter, Hazel.

Ge­orge’s fa­ther was born in Nor­ley Cheshire, Eng­land. As a young man, he came to Aus­tralia and worked on a farm in the Mur­gon area. He then came to Mulgildie in Jan­uary 1924 and took up a 138 hectare dairy­ing block.

Ge­orge started school at Se­lene school in 1941 and con­tin­ued there un­til some­time in 1944.

In 1944 the fam­ily moved to Gympie and pur­chased two farms there. In the mean­time, share farm­ers looked after the farm here. Ge­orge’s fa­ther be­came ill and died on May 20, 1946. Eve­lyn and the chil­dren rented a farm­house near Gympie and left share farm­ers on the farms.

The fam­ily moved back to this area and stayed in Thom­setts House for a short time in which Ge­orge, Alan and Hazel went to school at Glen­leigh in 1946. In 1947 they moved back to the farm and at­tended Se­lene School.

Ge­orge started board­ing school at the South­port School in 1948 and fin­ished in 1952. While there he was a keen foot­ball player. He was se­lected in the GPS foot­ball side as a half back.

While at TSS, Ge­orge started play­ing tennis and be­came a very com­pet­i­tive player.

After com­plet­ing TSS in 1952, Ge­orge worked for Les Zipf in Mun­dub­bera.

He was ac­cepted to go to mil­i­tary col­lege how­ever didn’t get the op­por­tu­nity as the share­farm­ers at Lewis Es­tate left with­out no­tice and Ge­orge was called upon to come home and do the milk­ing.

In 1957, Ge­orge met Ruth Stan­ley when hol­i­day­ing in Her­vey Bay.

Ruth moved to Monto in March 1958 and lived there with her par­ents and worked at Monto Phar­macy un­til they mar­ried in 1959.

They had two daugh­ters, Mi­randa and Lita.

Ge­orge and Ruth con­tin­ued dairy­ing and feed­ing pigs un­til cream changed over to milk in 1971-1972, then they ven­tured into beef.

Ge­orge was a keen sports­man and played cricket for 20 years and tennis into his early 70s.

He was pre­sented life mem­ber­ship in the Monto and Dis­trict Tennis As­so­ci­a­tion in 1993.

He en­cour­aged younger play­ers, in­clud­ing his daugh­ter Lita, who took a keen in­ter­est in tennis and took her to nu­mer­ous tennis tour­na­ments.

Ge­orge lost his sec­ond wife Mar­ion to cancer in Fe­bru­ary 2009.

Mar­ion played an ac­tive role on the farm.

Ge­orge led an ac­tive life right up un­til he be­came ill. He was still mus­ter­ing cat­tle and doing trac­tor work. He passed away March 1, 2017.

Ge­orge loved and re­spected his fam­ily and in­stilled good val­ues and morals that Mi­randa and Lita, along­side his grand­chil­dren Stan­ley, Ellen and Todd, will al­ways carry with them.


IN LOVING MEM­ORY: Ge­orge Lewis, with Ruth Lewis and grand­daugh­ter Ellen McGuigan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.