Massive effort got the region back in shape
THE state and federal governments have thrown their support behind the Whitsundays region, with the Premier declaring it “open for business” following its battering by Cyclone Debbie last month.
The Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk visited the Whitsundays on April 11 and, along with Tourism Minister Kate Jones, pledged $5 million in funding for the parts of Queensland affected by the Category 4 cyclone that struck on March 28.
The State Government’s funding matches the $5 million pledged by the Federal Government.
The Premier visited the Port of Airlie Maritime Terminal in Airlie Beach and said the Whitsundays was a beautiful region.
“My message today is that the Whitsundays is open for business,” she said.
“The money pledged today will ensure Queensland, and the Whitsundays, can get back on its feet and we are here to support you.”
Ms Jones said tourism was the “lifeblood” of the Whitsundays.
‘‘ My message today is that the Whitsundays is open for business.
“This new $10 million marketing campaign will showcase the Whitsundays to the world and Australia,” she said.
“We are saying very clearly that you can holiday here in the Whitsundays – it is not only beautiful but it is truly restored, thanks to everyone working around the clock – and we would encourage those with holidays booked to follow through, and those who are planning a holiday to consider the Whitsundays, as the welcome mat is well and truly out.”
Tourism Whitsundays CEO Craig Turner said the financial commitment made by the state and federal governments would be a “shot in the arm” the Whitsundays needed.