Survey shows faces of abuse
RESULTS have been released from a datagathering initiative held in the North Burnett in March, with surprising results.
A total of 60 people were surveyed by a representative of Save the Children as part of a larger project encompassing six sites throughout Australia.
The survey asked residents to share their experiences (or lack thereof) of physical abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse and a few lesser-known categories of harm such as financial and reproductive abuse.
In the results, it was shown that experience with physical and sexual abuse numbered quite high among under 25-year-old respondents, showing 78% for the former, and 56% for the latter.
Reproductive abuse, property damage and spiritual abuse ranked highest among 26-40 year olds, the largest age demographic in the survey.
The form of abuse most prevalent among the surveyed was verbal abuse, which 66.6% of respondents said they had experienced, with half of those being within the past 12 months.
Another interesting response to the survey was from the final question, asking respondents if they required further information or support.
More than 90% answered that they didn’t need any, with the remaining 10% being a split between needing emotional support, information, specialist referral and practical support.
Save the Children project manager Kylie Robertson said one of the big issues in the North Burnett specifically was that all existing data was based on police reports.
Police statistics do not classify call-outs as being domestic or family violence related unless they specifically relate to a breach of domestic violence protection order.
In the North Burnett, there has been a total of 23 such incidents reported in the past 12 months.
RESULTS: Abuse takes many forms, including non-physical.