In­juries plague Biggen­den

Central and North Burnett Times - - SPORT - Adam McCleery

RUGBY LEAGUE: The Biggen­den War­riors have been dealt more ob­sta­cles for their first sea­son back in the Cen­tral Bur­nett Rugby League com­pe­ti­tion af­ter player Justin Vi­cary suf­fered a hor­rific in­jury near the end of play.

The game was halted with 25 min­utes left on the clock af­ter Biggen­den War­rior Justin Vi­cary suf­fered a se­ri­ous arm in­jury that had him air­lifted to Bund­aberg Hospi­tal.

The in­ci­dent oc­curred late in the sec­ond half when Vi­cary and an­other War­riors player dived for the ball in open play, leav­ing Vi­cary’s arm limp from the im­pact.

An am­bu­lance was on the scene to tend to Vi­cary and the de­lay meant both teams agreed to halt the game with Mun­dub­bera hold­ing a com­mand­ing lead.

Vi­cary said he har­boured no an­i­mos­ity to­wards any­one else for the in­jury he suf­fered.

“You have to re­alise it’s a con­tact sport and I have noth­ing against any other play­ers, these things hap­pen,” Vi­cary said. “It’s part of the game.” Vi­cary is re­main­ing con­fi­dent that he might still get to play again this sea­son.

“I could be out for the sea­son, I’ll see how it goes and will try get back by the late rounds,” he said.

“I’d like to get back but this type of in­jury you re­ally don’t know how it will heal.”

Vi­cary sus­tained a spi­ral frac­ture to his humerus bone a half inch above his el­bow.

“It was pretty hor­rific, when I rolled over and saw my arm fold back on it­self I knew it was bro­ken,” Vi­cary said.

“I heard the pop, the peo­ple in the bar heard it too, but I thought maybe I had just popped my el­bow out.”

Vi­cary was tended to by an am­bu­lance on the field be­fore be­ing taken to the Gayndah hospi­tal.

“My sis­ter was there and my brother-in-law was play­ing too, my sis­ter fol­lowed us up to the hospi­tal,” Vi­cary said.

“I was air­lifted from the hospi­tal into Bund­aberg.”

Vi­cary had surgery on Mon­day where doc­tors tried to straighten his arm and set it in place.

“They didn’t end up pin­ning it or any­thing, they set it straight in surgery and put a cast on it,” Vi­cary said.

“I will be back in two weeks and if it’s not heal­ing right they will have to re-break it and then pin it.”

Vi­cary will still sup­port his War­riors team mates from the side lines.


SE­RI­OUS IN­JURY: Biggen­den player Justin Vi­cary was taken from the field in an am­bu­lance.

Daw­son Cross with a line drop out for Mun­dub­bera.

Gre­gory Cross ready to hit the line for the Tigers.

Lyn­don Ge­orge scores for Biggen­den.

Alex Eg­gle­ston evades the Tigers de­fence.

Teams played an ex­pan­sive brand of foot­ball.

Mitchell Thor­burn scores a try for Mun­dub­bera.

Full­back Luke Berthelsen try­ing to get the ball back into play.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.