Grab flu by the throat
Natural-born soothers can be more effective than medicines
A SORE throat is one of the most annoying symptoms of any cold or flu. Medicines like Panadol and cold and flu treatments often do not do a thing to help ease the pain of a sore throat, which is why many people turn to home remedies to help. If your throat is dry, itchy and sore, making eating, talking and swallowing a nightmare, then try some of these tried and tested home remedies.
1. Raspberry tea. One of the best ways to be rid of a sore throat is to gargle. Many people recommend gargling with salt water but raspberry tea is a much better and more effective option. Use the dried tea leaves and steep for 10 minutes before straining. Wait until the mixture cools before you gargle. It’s not advisable to drink this tea if you are pregnant.
2. Sage, vinegar and honey. Another good gargling mixture is sage (steeped for 10 minutes then strained) mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey. Follow the same steps as above and gargle a few times a day.
3. Mouthwash. If you are all out of herbs and tea leaves, then head into your bathroom and grab the bottle of mouthwash. The commercial mouthwashes are not only a bad breath killer but can also aid in soothing a sore throat.
4. Turmeric and salt. Salt water mixed with warm water and gargled has been used to cure a sore throat for years and years. My dad still swears by this method every time he gets a sore throat. However, for an even more effective option, add turmeric to the mixture as well. Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric and ½ teaspoon of salt to a 1 cup of hot water. Just make sure you don’t swallow the mixture.
5. Honey and vinegar. Here’s one you can enjoy as a warm cuppa. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of hot water. Stir together and drink slowly to soothe a sore throat.
6. Horseradish and honey. Have some horseradish lying around the house? Mix up 1 tablespoon of pure horseradish or horseradish root with 1 teaspoon of honey, as well as 1 teaspoon of ground cloves. Add the mixture to hot water and drink (if you can stomach it).
◗ Honey mixed with apple cidar vinegar and hot water is a home remedy to try for soothing a sore throat. DOCTOR ON CALL: The ingredients for many home remedies for an assortment of ailments can be found in your kitchen.