Fire safety crucial in colder months
Be vigilant about potential burning hazards at home
WITH the cold weather settling into the North Burnett, regional firefighters are encouraging residents to be safe and check their heating appliances closely before use.
North Burnett QFES controller Archie Andrews said the small inconvenience of checking your household electrical goods and heaters thoroughly was far outweighed by the benefit.
“As far as electrical appliances go people need to have a very good look over them to make sure there has been no deterioration in the equipment,” Mr Andrews said.
“Things like the extension leads, plugs and other things that feed into the appliances, any doubt about the quality at all we encourage people to call a professional electrician to check it.
“One for safety and two for the potential fire aspect, we need to know things are operating per their design.”
Mr Andrews said people should test their safety switches to ensure they work.
“People don’t often do that but you should check to see it is operating correctly and prove that safety mechanism is in place,” he said.
Other hazards Mr Andrews highlighted were drying clothes near heaters as well as children’s pyjamas, which are potentially flammable. He also recommended checking smoke alarm batteries.