Fire safety is critical and it’s our business
FIRE safety is everyone’s business and it’s important that we all understand the repercussions that could take place if we don’t.
In this week’s Central and North Burnett Times, one of our journalists chats to the North Burnett QFES about fire safety and in particular how important it is during the colder months. Believe me, it is vital. When I was an intern journalism student I covered a few out of control fires in the Wide Bay, some due to electrical appliances and home owners not protecting themselves with fire alarms. These problems occur but if we can get on top of it now, we will be much better off.
I remember an incident occurring when I was a kid.
I received a radio designed in the year 2000 for my sixth birthday.
If you can remember back 17 years ago radios were designed differently to the way they are now.
This one had cables coming out of it – a blue, red and black one – which was used to program the radio and another one to tune the channels in.
One day I was playing around with it and it zapped me – it wasn’t just a zap but a slight electrical shock, and it hurt.
I found out the next day the appliance was faulty. Can you imagine if this was left alone at home with nobody there?
Fires start all the time by faulty appliances, it can happen but we’ve got to be careful. The first thing we’ve got to be is fire trained.