Cheers to a son of the re­gion

Fam­ily re­mem­bers Sonny

Central and North Burnett Times - - NEWS - — Pro­vided by Sonny’s fam­ily for print

OBITUARY: Mundubbera lo­cal Oswald “Sonny” Carr re­cently passed away on Thurs­day, July 20 at the age of 67.

Born in the Mundubbera Hos­pi­tal on Jan­uary 17, 1950, Mr Oswald was a mid­dle child of Ossie and Shirley Carr and had an older sis­ter Lor­raine Carl­ton and a younger brother Greg.

When Sonny was born, Lor­raine took one look at him and said “I’m not call­ing him Oswald, I’m call­ing him Sonny”. From that day on, Sonny was his name.

Sonny’s par­ents moved to Wan­doan when Sonny was three. There they owned a sheep and wheat prop­erty.

Sonny and his sib­lings at­tended the Wan­doan State School. He was known as a great crick­eter and foot­ball player. Sonny al­ways had very fond mem­o­ries of grow­ing up in the Wan­doan coun­try and com­mu­nity.

At the age of 21 Sonny mar­ried his child­hood sweet­heart Gil­lian Jones. They were renowned as be­ing a very good-look­ing cou­ple who were ter­rific dancers. The pair had Danielle, Cindy, Hay­ley and iden­ti­cal twins Gavin and Shaun.

Un­for­tu­nately, the cou­ple sep­a­rated in the mid-1980s.

After fin­ish­ing school, Sonny had worked on the fam­ily farm for a year, be­fore work­ing in the forestry and then on the Wu­ruma Dam project.

After Wu­ruma Dam was com­pleted, Sonny worked at Tele­com as a lines­man for some 20 years. It was while work­ing at Tele­com that Sonny jumped off the back of the work ute while wear­ing his wed­ding ring, got it caught and lost a finger.

Back then there was no such thing as WorkCover and he was back at work again in no time at all. When Tele­com started to un­ravel in the 90’s, Sonny de­cided to ac­cept a re­dun­dancy and find an­other job. He then worked on the rail­way for a year and he claimed that it was the hottest job that he had ever had.

Sonny later had a re­la­tion­ship where he helped raise Jamie Darby from a very young age. Jamie was no dif­fer­ent to any of Sonny’s other chil­dren to him.

In 1991, Sonny started work­ing for the Golden Mile Or­chard. When Grape Ex­change bought into the Golden Mile he then moved to the grape side of the busi­ness.

His new em­ployer now was Grape Ex­change. He had dif­fer­ent bosses over the years and he had great re­spect for them. He al­ways spoke very highly of Mike, An­thony, and of course, Hans El­saesser.

He of­ten spoke about what a tal­ented man­ager Hans was. He also thought very highly of his work­mates there. By this time, Sonny was now 65 and heard about the big changes that were hap­pen­ing within the Costa Group.

His daugh­ter Danielle and son-in-law Craig of­fered him em­ploy­ment with them at their cit­rus and grape prop­erty. Sonny then worked there for an­other year un­til his shoul­ders phys­i­cally let him down.

He saw spe­cial­ists about hav­ing a dou­ble shoul­der re­con­struc­tion and they in­formed him that if he had this op­er­a­tion he would not be able to do phys­i­cal work again. Sonny re­gret­fully then re­tired at 66.

While it is a sad shock to have lost Sonny so sud­denly, it is of some con­so­la­tion that he died around the peo­ple he loved, in a place that he loved.

Sonny will be missed by his six chil­dren and their part­ners and his 14 grand­chil­dren as well as his sis­ter Lor­raine and his brother Greg and fam­i­lies.

His friends and the com­mu­nity will miss see­ing him daily up the top of town, wav­ing from his car­port to the pass­ing traf­fic, and hear­ing his cheery “G’day”.


SO LONG: Sonny Carr was re­mem­bered for his in­fec­tious smile at a ser­vice last week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.