First classes held in a tent
100-year history of Baralaba State School
IN 1917, the nearest school maintained by the State government was 23 miles away by road.
Because of the unsettled state of the coal mines at that time, the Department of Public Instruction (the state Education Department of the time) could not grant approval for the establishment of a state school.
The Department of Public Instruction was willing to open a Provisional School so long as parents could provide a room or a tent in which to hold classes.
On September 25, 1917 a public meeting was held at the home of Michael Scully to form a School Committee. Michael Scully, Frederick O. Holm, Jack Warry, Sydney Walter and George Jackson were elected to promote the establishment of a Provisional School at Baralaba.
The number of children aged between five and 15 likely to attend this proposed school was 18.
A tent was erected and Baralaba Provisional School (the tent school) officially opened on August 19, 1918.
Eleven students were enrolled for the September quarter of 1918 and Mr Edward C. Asmus was appointed the first headteacher.
From these humble beginnings, Baralaba Provisional School became Baralaba State School in 1922 and a Secondary Department was officially opened in 1965.
Baralaba State School has experienced many significant events over the past 100 years including the flood of 1928 and the addition and removal of buildings as student numbers fluctuated.
Today, Baralaba State School (P-10) is a wellresourced school with well-maintained facilities with 99 students and a team of a principal, a guidance officer, a head of curriculum, 11 teachers, seven teacheraides and six auxiliary staff.
To celebrate and commemorate 100 years of this fine school, a range of memorabilia is being made in collaboration with the Baralaba History Group and the Baralaba Art Group.
Many historical artefacts will also be on display in the school on the Centenary Celebration weekend as part of the Doors Through the Decades display.
An extract of the school's history.
ROUGH CLASSROOMS: Baralaba Provisional School began in a tent, 1918.
The front entrance to the Baralaba State School as it stands in 2018.
Baralaba State School, believed to be around 1926. The building was moved from Mt Chalmers in 1924.
Baralaba State School in 1965.