Honey­bears claim vic­tory

Chinchilla beats St Al­bans 3-0 away from home

Chinchilla News - - SPORT - Tim Tay­lor Con­trib­uted

FOOT­BALL: The Chinchilla Honey­bears took on St Al­bans in Toowoomba on Sun­day.

The Honey­bears came out of the blocks fir­ing, tak­ing just two min­utes to open the scor­ing.

Imo­gene Forrest was played through by a lovely ball from Sally Car­roll and made no mis­take, slid­ing in to put the Honey­bears ahead.

The Honey­bears con­tin­ued the early pres­sure but had to wait un­til the 22nd minute be­fore mak­ing it 2-0 when Sally Car­roll found space and drilled her shot into the back of the St Al­bans net.

The Honey­bears nearly made it 3-0 when Imo­gene Forrest burst down the right-hand side to swing a ball across, but the on rush­ing Drue Hope was un­able to sup­ply the fin­ish­ing touch at the far post.

Claire Valler was next to try her luck from the edge of the area, but watched her shot fly just wide of the goal.

The sides went in at half-time with the Honey­bears up 2-0.

The Honey­bears came out fir­ing in the sec­ond half after a shot from Drue Hope was par­ried into the path of Sally Car­roll, but Car­roll was un­able to keep her shot down.

St Al­bans were try­ing to cre­ate chances and with the Honey­bears caught with too many play­ers for­ward, it took some great cov­er­ing de­fence from Rachel De Jonge who did just enough to put off the St Al­bans striker who blazed wide.

That only seemed to spark the Honey­bears into life and they made it 3-0 on the hour mark after some neat in­ter­play on the edge of the St Al­bans penalty area.

Elaina Riebe found her­self un­marked and through on goal and made no mis­take.

The Honey­bears nearly made it 4-0 after some tremen­dous play from Kim Priem down the left-hand side.

She drilled the ball across the face of goal but the on-rush­ing Te­gan Cann was un­able to find the back of the net at the far post.

Cann was again de­nied shortly after when her goal bound shot was de­flected, only to re­bound of the post and get cleared to safety.

Claire Valler was next to threaten again try­ing her luck from long range and her right foot bel­ter whis­tled just over the St Al­bans cross­bar.

That was the last no­table chance of the match, with the Honey­bears win­ning 3-0.

“We knew if we wanted to keep the pres­sure on the teams above us we had to win to­day and we got the job done,” Honey­bears coach Tim Tay­lor said.

“I feel at times we played some tremen­dous foot­ball.

“We were try­ing to do the right things but our fi­nal pass was just a lit­tle off to­day.

“On an­other day if those passes stuck we could have scored plenty more.

“The pos­i­tive for me is it was an­other well or­gan­ised dis­play de­fen­sively and we know we al­ways have goals in us.

“The stand­out for me to­day was young Te­gan Cann. It was only her third game for the Honey­bears but she is start­ing to show what she is ca­pa­ble of.”

The Honey­bears next game is against first place Rockville in Toowoomba on Sun­day.

“It’s go­ing to be tough next week. We are go­ing to be miss­ing a lot of play­ers next week but the beauty of this squad is that no mat­ter who is away we have a team ca­pa­ble of beat­ing any­body,” Tay­lor said.

“It makes team se­lec­tion ex­tremely dif­fi­cult at times but it’s great to have so many op­tions.”


ON THE BALL: Jus­teen Kruger in ac­tion for the Honey­bears.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.