Opened in 1931, the Dagenham plant became Ford UK’s manufacturing centre for the next 30 years. Until the Escort arrived (see Halewood), almost every classic Ford was manufactured here, together with body, engine and transmission manufacture. Major programmes included Anglias, Prefects, Corsairs, Zephyrs, Granadas, Cortinas (including the Mk2 Lotus), Fiestas, plus vans, tractors and many other sub-derivatives. A brand-new PTA (Paint Trim Assembly) building arrived in the late 1950s, this then being the UK’s largest car-building site. Much redeveloped, part of Dagenham still exists (building diesel engines), but car assembly ended in the early 2000s.