MICK AND CHRIS’ TIPS FOR GETTING YOUR PROJECT FINISHED
1. Always buy the best car you can afford — even if you pay more money, it’ll be cheaper ion the long run because you will always under estimate how much parts cost to replace. And that’s especially now as the most mundane piece seems to command a fortune.
2. Be realistic about your abilities and don’t be afraid to farm out work — but do your homework and use a reliable trusted specialist rather than the bloke that’s flavour of the month!
3. Do one job at a time until it’s finished — don’t be tempted to do the glory bits first; save them to last if you can because then you have something to look forward to. One piece/area at a time — although sometimes it’s more economical to work on several sections — like having all of the suspension powder coated as a batch will cost less than individual bits. But, work on say the front first then the back as too much at a time will get you snowed under.
4. If you have limited experience, build a car that uses mostly bolt-on bits. It maybe formulaic and it might cost more to buy all the kits but you’ll need to out-weigh that against time and, the length it takes to finish it.
5. Work with your mates — having likeminded friends around you rather than slogging it out on your own makes car building far more enjoyable. Plus, if you’re committed to someone coming over to help, you’ll do it rather than simply go indoors and watchTV!