FACE-2-FACE: Walter Nand
BUSINESS development mgr NSW/ACT, Avalon Waterways, Globus family of brands.
1. What motivates you in your career?
I love representing a quality product and company and sharing with as many people as possible the ways they can enjoy a fantastic holiday experience.
2. Most common assumption people make about your job?
That reps spend most of our day swanning around and having long lunches. The reality is we work long hours including many evenings and weekends. It is definitely a career choice and not just ‘a job’.
3. What is the key to building great relationships with agents?
Know your product, be honest, open & reliable & make sure you always follow up.
4. Biggest challenge facing the industry?
Third rate operators with a first-class online presence. This leads to negative holiday experiences and taints the industry. Hopefully this will also result in highlighting the value of using a qualified and experienced travel agent.
5. Advice for up‐and‐comers?
Make sure you are honest with yourself, your employer, your colleagues and your clients and you will enjoy one of the best & most rewarding careers you can have – being a travel rep.
6. My next cruise will be…
Hopefully the Avalon Waterways Galapagos Islands Cruise.
7. Favourite cruise destination?
Avalon Waterways’ Central European Experience (Paris to Prague).
8. Celebrity you’d like to cruise with?
Sir Graham Henry (the former All Blacks Coach) so I could talk to him about what it takes to lead a team to two successive world cups.
9. Favourite thing to do in port?
Getting ‘lost’ down the alleys and laneways in the small European towns and villages. It has led to some fantastic discoveries and experiences.
10. When not at work, how do you spend your me?
Spending time with my family, watching rugby and riding my Triumph motorcycle with good mates.