Res­i­dents owe lives to smoke de­tec­tors

Dalby Herald - - BEST OF THE WEST -

SMOKE de­tec­tors save lives.

It is one of the most well-known fire safety mes­sages, but Act­ing In­spec­tor Chris Mar­tial of the Goondi­windi area com­mand said work­ing smoke alarms likely con­trib­uted to sav­ing lives dur­ing a St Ge­orge house fire last week.

“When crews ar­rived, the top level of the house was well in­volved (in the fire),” he said.

“Thank­fully, all the oc­cu­pants were no­ti­fied of the fire in the house due to the fact they had work­ing smoke alarms.”

Af­ter fire set off smoke alarms in­side the home, it al­lowed for the safe evac­u­a­tion of all res­i­dents from the prop­erty.

“There was one male who was asleep in one of the neigh­bour­ing rooms next to the one that was ac­tu­ally on fire, and that res­i­dent was wo­ken by the work­ing smoke alarm and he was able to evac­u­ate him­self out of the house safely.”

The first res­i­dent who in­ves­ti­gated the house af­ter the smoke alarm went off dis­cov­ered the room that was en­gulfed in flames, al­low­ing him to no­tify the rest of the house­hold be­fore every­one was evac­u­ated safely.

Insp Mar­tial said it reaf­firmed the im­por­tance of hav­ing work­ing smoke alarms in ev­ery home.

“It’s re­ally im­por­tant that peo­ple are fa­mil­iar with smoke alarm leg­is­la­tion, which has re­cently changed in Queens­land,” he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.