Fault causes truck fire, crash
Deniliquin NSW Fire & Rescue firefighters assisted with the removal of a small truck which crashed into a shed and caught fire at an Augustus St yard in Deniliquin on Monday morning.
NSW Fire & Rescue Captain Martin Smith said the fire started in the vehicle’s starter motor, due to an electrical fault.
Even though unoccupied, the fault and fire caused the truck to start on its own and drive forward, he said.
The vehicle stopped when it crashed into a rear shed.
Capt Smith said staff at the yard were able to stop the blaze using a dry chemical extinguisher.
‘‘It was quickly extinguished, and when we arrived we inspected the vehicle and disconnected the battery,’’ Capt Smith said.
‘‘We then assisted with the removal of the truck from the shed as it had crashed into the shed’s sliding doors, which were on top of the truck.
‘‘We left the truck in an area where it could be inspected safely by an autoelectrician.’’
NSW Fire & Rescue firefighters were called to what was reported to be a house fire in Maher St, Deniliquin on Monday evening.
On arrival, the nine firefighters found the fire was in a gazebo adjoining the home.
Captain Martin Smith said the home’s occupants had extinguished the blaze with a garden hose and the help of an off-duty firefighter who lives nearby before firefighters arrived.
Capt Smith said the fire only burned the shade cloth of the gazebo, with no damage to the home or the outdoor structure.
Firefighters received the call for assistance about 5.50pm.