Smoke fills unit af­ter food left on stove

Deniliquin Pastoral Times - - OUT & ABOUT -

A 56 year-old De­niliquin man was treated for smoke in­hala­tion af­ter a kitchen fire filled his Ge­orge St unit with smoke on Thurs­day af­ter­noon.

The man is be­lieved to have left food cook­ing on the stove when he fell asleep.

NSW Fire & Res­cue Deputy Cap­tain Les Booth said the man was wo­ken by his smoke alarm, just af­ter 3.30pm.

‘‘There was a lot of smoke dam­age to the unit, but thank­fully lit­tle fire dam­age,’’ Deputy Capt Booth said.

‘‘Af­ter be­ing wo­ken by the alarm the man was able to re­move him­self from the unit, with the help of some neigh­bours.’’

De­niliquin Am­bu­lance NSW in­spec­tor of ser­vice de­liv­ery, south­ern sec­tor Bruce Purves said the man was treated by a para­medic at the scene, be­fore be­ing trans­ferred to De­niliquin Hos­pi­tal in a sta­ble con­di­tion for fur­ther ob­ser­va­tion.

Deputy Capt Booth says the in­ci­dent is a timely re­minder to never leave food cook­ing unat­tended.

He also warned that wa­ter should not be used to douse a cook­ing fire.

‘‘The best thing to do is put a lid over the fire, or a fire blan­ket.

‘‘You should never use wa­ter as it could flare the flames.’’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.