GAY CHEF: JORDAN’S FETTUCCINI.
JORDAN’S MODERN REINVENTION OF A MEDITERRANEAN CLASSIC.
• 4 tablespoons salted butter
• 1 brown onion
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
• 500g fettuccine
• ¼ cup rice flour
• 3 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
• 1¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces), plus more for shaving
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ¼ salt & pepper
• 2 bunches of asparagus, ends snapped off and discarded, then cut into 3-4 inch pieces on the diagonal
• Handful of basil
1. Prepare the fresh fettuccine. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil and cook the pasta for 5-10 minutes (or until pasta is al dente). Make sure to reserve a few cups of the water.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and cook asparagus until tender. Once tender set aside for later.
3. In the same pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the minced onion and garlic and cook, stirring until onion is translucent and slightly golden. 4. Stir in the rice flour and cook, mixing for 1 minute. Now gradually add the almond milk, constantly stirring to ensure the mixture remains smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until mixture is thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
5. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss through with the asparagus, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick add some of the reserved water from the pasta.
6. Serve while hot with basil on top. MORE: Follow Jordan on Instagram @JordanBruno.MKR