Market prompts development rethink Kristie Lim
YOLK Property Group has amended its development plans for Lots 41 and 40, 9 and 11 King William Street from seven storeys to six because of a “slow market”.
The developers also want retail rather than a mix of retail and restaurants on the ground floor as previously proposed.
The City of Bayswater pushed to keep heritage value and restaurants in the amended six-storey Heir apartments proposal at last week’s committee meeting.
The council received the amended application and approved Cr Sally Palmer’s request to give due regard to the heritage, retention of the previously approved restaurants on the ground floor and for the council to not increase parking requirements.
The proposal will be considered by the Metropolitan Central Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP) on September 18.
The current proposal features a 20m-high, six-storey building with two shops and 27 apartments.
Other changes include an increased street setback on the second and third floors (nil-3.2m to 5m), boundary setbacks on the second to fourth floors reduced from 3.2m to 3m and two ground floor tenancies proposed to change use from restaurant to shop.
In February 2016, JDAP approved a seven-storey development with 27 apartments plus restaurant and shop space on the ground floor after State Administrative Tribunal mediation, petitions and community outrage, and support from a Bayswater community group.
The council approved the demolition of 9 King William Street and the facade of number 11 being retained in February 2015.
Yolk Property Group director Pete Adams addressed council about the lack of pre-sales in a “slow market” and the group’s wish to drop the bulk and scale on the street that led to its amended application and request to the JDAP for a two-year approval extension.
“I feel like a criminal in this area and there is too much opposition to this,” he said.
Mr Adams said the plan kept the heritage on the ground and second floors.
Bayswater resident Keith Clements, who spoke on behalf of three residents, said the current application was a “cheaper and bombastic choice of a design”.
“We are not against development but the lack of local heritage and streetscape,” he said.
Mr Adams told the Eastern Reporter after the meeting that construction would likely start in 2018 after a re-launch of the project early next year.