Car boot sale at Ruffy reserve
A CAR Boot Sale will be held at the Ruffy Recreation Reserve on Sunday, October 15 from 9am to 1pm with stacks of bargains to be found.
Site cost is $10 for those wishing to sell.
The official opening of the new kitchen will take place at 2pm followed by a complimentary afternoon tea.
At luchtime a sausage sizzle will be available.
The reserve originated after a public meeting was held on May 20 in 1955 to investigate the possibility of purchasing and developing a Recreation Reserve at Ruffy.
It was moved that it be called the Ruffy - Terip Recreation Reserve, which in later years was changed to the Ruffy Recreation Reserve.
A committee was elected with Mr K Threlfall as president.
An offer of some nine acres was made from Mr G Hunter providing that seven hundred and fifty pounds ($ 1500) was raised by public subscriptions.
This offer was accepted with gratitude.
Messrs McGrath, Ryan and Rowan from the Shire of Goulburn advised the committee as to the correct procedure to follow.
The condition of providing $1500 was met by the people of Ruffy and Terip and toward the end of 1955 the land was transferred to the Shire of Goulburn by Mr Hunter and became the property of the people of Ruffy.
At a further meeting of residents, Mr Hunter moved that the area be named the ‘Maygar Park’ in honor of Mr AE Maygar who had represented Ruffy on the Goulburn Shire Council over a long period of years and who had fostered sport, and particularly cricket in the area.
It was also moved that Mr McGrath be empowered to let the contract for the erection of a pavilion and that work commence as soon as possible.
The position of the tennis courts and the erection of a boundary fence was then taken care of.
An oat crop was sown to vitalise the ground and was sold as profit for the reserve; also logs and posts were sold off the reserve.
In the late 50s, the building was erected and the tennis and cricket clubs were given permission to form playing areas.
A water tank was erected to supply water for the kitchen and for the septic tanks.
The tennis courts were sealed in 1965 and the oval graded and formed.
With the planting of oaks and ornamental trees and the sowing down of the oval, the Reserve was beginning to take shape.
These trees in recent years have provided spectators with ample shade and have made the reserve a picturesque oval.
In the 1980s the people of Ruffy felt that the recreation reserve could be improved, so a fund raising campaign was taken up and a large sum of money was raised which was matched by the community projects grants on a 2-1 basis.
With this money, playground equipment was bought and erected for the children to play on.
A diesel generator and electric pump were purchased to pump water from a newly sunk bore and to generate power to the pavilion.
A verandah was built, and the pavilion lined and painted, a shelter was also built for the tennis players.
Over the later years changers have been made to make the Recreation ground more horse friendly.
The tennis courts were dismantled and replaced with a sand arena and a horse wash down area.
As a result more events could be held.
A disable toilet was built and the back part of the building bagged and painted .
New cupboards replaced the old ones making the kitchen more work friendly and up to date with modern health standards.
Overall our recreation reserve has become a friendly multipurpose place for all visitors to come and enjoy their visit (i.e. family picnic, birthday parties, family get togethers) under the beautiful shade of the big oak trees.
Any further enquiries phone Marj Leigh on 5790 4298.
MAYGAR PARK: The Ruffy Recreation Reserve will be the site for a car boot sale on October 15.