Quick and easy recipes
prep 10 minutes cook 3.5 hours servings 8
The perfect soup for a cold winter’s day.
This recipe is not so quick, but is super simple and perfect for a cold winter’s day.
• 2 carrots
• 2 bacon hocks
• 2 onions
• White pepper
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 500g green split peas
1. Empty the split peas into a bowl and add water.
2. Roughly chop the onions and carrots, add to a large heavy-based saucepan with olive oil and saute over medium heat until soft and the onion is translucent.
3. Add bacon hocks and cover with hot water to
approximately 2 inches above hocks.
4. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for
approximately 2 hours.
5. Afterwards, drain the peas and add to the pot.
Season with a little pepper.
6. Bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a
further hour over low heat.
7. Add water as it reduces to achieve the consistency you want.
8. Remove the bones with tongs. Either take out the
skin or chop it up, depending on your tastes.