SEE­ING IS BE­LIEV­ING

It’s been a hell of a long time coming but Dan­ger­ous’ bike is fi­nally off the ramp…

Fast Bikes - - PROJECT -

We’re get­ting there. It’s one bit at a time (lit­er­ally), but the Moto3 bike’s build is slowly start­ing to pick up pace. If you’re up-to-date with our tale of woe so far then you’ll know we’ve had more co­nun­drums than a fat kid in a sweet shop, but we’ve made some bold de­ci­sions and the re­sults are pay­ing off. We went on a bit of a wild goose chase with the yokes, but since de­cid­ing to set­tle with the stock GSX-R600 units, a lot of the po­ten­tial prob­lems have dis­ap­peared; such as wheel spac­ing. That was prov­ing a right night­mare, ow­ing to the fact that the Gixer forks’ ra­di­ally mounted caliper was de­ter­min­ing the dis­tance per­mis­si­ble be­tween the fork legs and the wheel’s spokes.

Any­way, with­out wish­ing to sound like a par­rot and go over it all again, we fig­ured our best path and I’m pleased to an­nounce that we now have a func­tion­ing spin­dle (com­plete with spac­ers) ma­chined and look­ing dap­per. Hooray! Clive, who’s been the brains be­hind this build, did all the work­ings out and came up with a de­sign that saw a boss, with an in­ter­nally tapped thread, ma­chined into the far side fork leg bot­tom, into which the threaded end of our spin­dle could lo­cate. It cracked me up when I saw how he’d drawn it on some old scrap of pa­per, but it did the trick and the unit works a treat – so much for CAD and all that.

The other big bit of news this month is that we’ve got a new steer­ing stem pin. Be­cause the GSX-R600 stem was too short to be utilised on the RM-Z’s frame (and the RM-Z’s stem was a mil­lion miles out from fit­ting the GSX-R’s yokes), we were left with no choice than to draw up an­other de­sign and get the de­sired unit pro­duced from scratch. Clive’s mate stepped in to lend a hand with this lit­tle num­ber, and the end re­sult is we’ve now got a stem that meets the cri­te­ria a treat.

It’s per­fect, just like the new steer­ing head bear­ings we fit­ted into place be­fore as­sem­bling the yokes and stem bolt into their new home. You’re prob­a­bly won­der­ing why I’m get­ting so ex­cited about such sim­ple progress, but for a mo­tor­cy­cle that’s need­ing so much tweak­ing and mod­i­fy­ing, the pro­cure­ment of these key parts is huge news. They’ve been blight­ing the build from day one, like a po­lice­man’s pres­ence at a co­caine party. But we’re over that now and things are look­ing up. The front wheel is in and looks rather dap­per in its new home, de­spite the fact the front tyre’s balder than Wayne Rooney – pre-op. New tyres are very much needed, es­pe­cially as we’ve now found a 3.5in rear rim to suit the build.

The front’s a 3in item, which we’re hop­ing to run a 100-pro­file tyre on. At the rear, the 3.5in rim should take a 120-pro­file hoop. I’m guess­ing at sizes right now, but I’ve fired a few emails to much more knowl­edge­able peo­ple than I to work out what the best op­tions are go­ing to be. In the­ory, we want to be run­ning the small­est tyres pos­si­ble, as it’ll help this baby turn sharper. Not that we’re ex­pect­ing it to be a pig, with its feath­er­weight mass and 1300mm wheelbase. Or at least it bet­ter not be!

While the front wheel’s fit­ting a treat, the off­set of the Aprilia RS125’s domed brake disc ro­tor isn’t suf­fi­cient enough to slot ex­actly cen­tral in the caliper. This means were hav­ing to get the drill out and bore holes on the op­po­site (and prouder) side of the rim, which we’ll tap so we mount the disc to it. It’s not a big job, but it’s ex­tra work that we could have done with­out.

At the rear of the bike, the new rim looks spot on for our de­sired di­men­sions. The has­sle is the RM-Z’s stock caliper, which is sim­ply too big. We’re go­ing to have to find a donor off a scooter, or some­thing small: if you’ve got any sug­ges­tions, we’re all ears. As with the front wheel, the rear wheel’s stan­dard bear­ings are go­ing to be re­placed for the largest units we can fit. We’ve ended up with a 17mm spin­dle up the front, and hope­fully we’ll be able to mir­ror that at the back. Be­cause the rear swingarm’s al­ready slot­ted for a larger di­am­e­ter spin­dle, Clive came up with a top-hat de­sign that will act as a spacer to adapt the bore to suit our needs. As soon as we know what size spin­dle we’re go­ing with, we’ll just drill the cen­tres of the top-hats to suit. Sim­ples.

But that’s a job for next month, along with a whole host of other lit­tle bits. We’re now at the stage where we can start crack­ing on with a whole host of jobs, so the bike should start tak­ing on a more fin­ished guise be­fore too long. It’s al­ready been one hell of a ride, but we’re chuffed with how things are go­ing. No one ever said this was go­ing to be easy, but I know it will be worth it.

That’s the spirit.

Fit­ting Ven­hill’s quick ac­tion throt­tle is next on the list.

Fresh Bridge­stone rub­ber ready for some abuse.

EBC’s wavy disc has blinged up the front end. Time for the snip!

We never thought we’d see the day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.