Fremantle Gazette - - SPORT -

SU­BI­ACO pro­gressed to their fifth con­sec­u­tive grand fi­nal de­spite a real scare from a gal­lant South Fre­man­tle at Leed­erville Oval on the weekend.

The Bull­dogs started hard and fast and scored a stun­ning five goals to one in the first quar­ter, giv­ing them a 23-point lead by quar­ter-time. The lead could have been big­ger had South con­verted more shots on goal.

South ruck­man Brock Hig­gins was a late with­drawal and this had ram­i­fi­ca­tions as the game pro­gressed. It al­lowed for­mer Docker Zac Clarke to play a ma­jor part in the fight­back that saw Su­bi­aco run out vic­tors by 18 points, 12.12 (84) to 10.6 (66).

Af­ter a stern ad­dress from coach Jar­rad Schofield at quar­ter-time, the league trend­set­ting Lions fought back in the se­cond term, re­duc­ing the mar­gin to just 10 points at the ma­jor break.

Josh Deluca was a very solid con­trib­u­tor as al­ways for Su­bi­aco, but their all­star mid­field didn’t have it their own way as South showed they can take the game up to Su­bi­aco.

San­dover Medal­list Hay­den Schloithe was one of the best for the Bull­dogs again. ■ WEST Perth soundly ac­counted for a dis­ap­point­ing Clare­mont by 53 points af­ter a thrash­ing them­selves last week at the hands of South Fre­man­tle.

The 19.9 (123) to 10.10 (70) vic­tory gives the Fal­cons a re­match against their tor­men­tors of last week, South Fre­man­tle, to es­tab­lish the chal­lenger to Su­bi­aco for the 2018 pre­mier­ship ti­tle.

The Fal­con mid­field of Aaron Black, Shane Nel­son and Luke Mead­ows had a day out, as did Tyler Kei­tel af­ter a dis­ap­point­ing game last week as he re­turned to form with four goals.

Clare­mont sim­ply could not repli­cate the tackling pres­sure and en­deav­our of their game the week be­fore when they knocked East Perth out of the fi­nals.

Seven goals in the first term re­ally set the scene for ■

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.