Po­lice nab ter­ror teen

Geelong Advertiser - - NEWS -

A TEENAGER ar­rested over Lon­don’s Par­sons Green ter­ror at­tack may have been an asy­lum seeker who was given a home by a foster cou­ple.

Po­lice raided the cou­ple’s house in Sur­rey just hours af­ter dra­mat­i­cally am­bush­ing the 18-year-old bomb­ing sus­pect in Dover as he tried to leave the coun­try on Satur­day.

Penny Jones, 71, and her hus­band Ron, 88, have been hon­oured by the Queen af­ter tak­ing in hun­dreds of refugees, in­clud­ing some from Syria.

As 250 res­i­dents liv­ing near the Jones’s house in Sun­bury-on-Thames were evac­u­ated, there were un­con­firmed re­ports ex­plo­sives were found dur­ing the raid.

Neigh­bour Ser­ena Bar­ber, 47, who has known Mr and Mrs Jones all her life, said: “All I know is that they have two boys at the mo­ment. Both are for­eign.’’ She al­leged that one of the pair was “ar­rested at Par­sons Green’’ two weeks ago. Scot­land Yard de­clined to com­ment on the claim.

Ear­lier, about seven armed of­fi­cers sur­rounded the bomb­ing sus­pect in the ticket of­fice at Dover’s ferry ter­mi­nal as he at­tempted to catch a boat to France.

Sources said po­lice lay in wait at the port for his ar­rival, sug­gest­ing his move­ments were be­ing mon­i­tored by se­cu­rity ser­vices.

It is un­der­stood he was iden­ti­fied fol­low­ing an ex­haus­tive ex­am­i­na­tion by hun­dreds of de­tec­tives of CCTV footage. This prompted a tense sur- veil­lance op­er­a­tion in­volv­ing MI5 and po­lice forces, which ended dra­mat­i­cally with the Dover st­ing.

A wit­ness said the sus­pect was sur­rounded by po­lice of­fi­cers as he tried to buy a ticket at 7.50am.

“It was dif­fi­cult to see him or what he looked like be­cause the po­lice moved to­wards him so quickly,” she said. “He was led away and there was no shout­ing and no sign of a strug­gle.”

Af­ter be­ing held for sev­eral hours un­der the Ter­ror­ism Act, he was later moved to a South Lon­don po­lice sta­tion where he will be ques­tioned over Fri­day’s at­tack on a packed morn­ing rush hour-train in West Lon­don.

Hun­dreds of com­muters and school­child­ren nar­rowly avoided death when a bomb in a bucket hid­den in a shopping bag failed to fully det­o­nate. About 30 peo­ple were rushed to hos­pi­tal, some with se­ri­ous burns.

Wit­nesses de­scribed a fire­ball in the car­riage.

A foren­sic of­fi­cer walks down Cavendish Rd, Sur­rey, dur­ing the raid.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.